Maximizing Academic Performance Program (M.A.P Program)
Crestwood Preparatory College has, since its inception, enriched the lives of our students with learning approaches and programs that maximize both achievement and post-secondary prospects. We understand that added student support, which is both integrated in and supplemental to the daily curriculum, is essential to the success of our students. Much of what we do, day-to-day and class-to-class, is part of this overall teaching approach. By teaching skills and strategies to learning, we are able to enhance one of the most outstanding academic programs in the City of Toronto.
The MAP Program provides a supportive environment where students can overcome academic challenges, embrace opportunities encountered through their unique learning styles, and meet their goals. The MAP Program offers every student the tools and confidence to reach their maximum potential.
There are several components involved in the MAP Program;
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 MAP Centres: daily after school homework and academic centres in which teachers assist students in homework, organizational and study related areas.
- Grade 7 “Integrated Study Skills” Course – part of the regular program and schedule for all grade 7 students.
- Math Tutoring Centre – teacher and peer assistance for all grade levels.
- English Writing Centre- opportunities for students with writing challenges or inquiries to get assistance from English teachers.
- Reach Ahead Credits – Grade 7 & 8 students have the opportunity to reach ahead in subjects such as Geography, Computers, Mathematics and French allowing them to earn up to 4 high school credits prior to the start of Grade 9.
- Mentoring Programs- regularly scheduled meetings with teachers and mentor groups- more individualized program for students with greater need.
- Optional GLS/GLE Study Skills Course in Grade 9.
The Crestwood Preparatory College MAP Program, your road to success at high school and beyond.
The ROOTS Program
Crestwood’s ROOTS Program provides a smaller class setting for students who benefit from a more intensive support based learning environment. While following the Ministry of Education guidelines mandated for each grade level, ROOTS is differentiated by pace and volume. This program is available to students with learning difficulties from Grades 3-8. The goal of the program is to foster a positive work ethic and provide a learning community that challenges all students to realize their greatest potential. Ultimately, this will provide students with the skills necessary for eventual integration into the mainstream classroom. The program focuses on providing students with a foundation in basic skills through a structured environment, with an intensive process-based approach to learning. ROOTS addresses the academic, social and emotional needs of children with a variety of ability levels and learning styles. Differentiated instruction and individualized student support is based on the needs of each student. We actively involve parents and the community in supporting student learning and development. It provides the student with the tools and skill set necessary for success in the 21st Century.
A full range of counseling services is available to Crestwood students. These services form an essential part of the school’s academic mandate. Students are expected to visit their counselor regularly. Counselors will visit classrooms to instruct students in areas related to career planning, time management and study skills. Parents may make appointments to discuss their child’s academic performance, subject selection or career choices with the guidance teachers. University and college academic calendars are readily available and important sources of information. University/college officials will be invited to speak to students about post-secondary programs and career opportunities. A considerable effort will be made by this department as well as all other staff to ensure that our students are well prepared to achieve their academic and career goals.
Please contact Nicole Byrant at 416-391-1441 Ext. 29